Friday, January 26, 2007

002 INTRODUCTION TO UPANISHADS

WHAT I PROMISE
Unbiased analyses. Discussion. Particularly trying to identifying verses which are secular or which have special messages to convey. I am not writing this as a propaganda for any religion or cult. I do not belong to any cult. I am not a monk. I am very much a householder. Just trying to identify what could have happened or the truth. I do not collect donations.

There are 108 Upanishads in Hinduism. Of these, 10 are popular. Brihadaranyaka Upanishad is the largest. Isavasyopanishad is considered the smallest.

"Upanishad" is a Sanskrit word. Means: Sit together. With the teacher and learn. Upanishads are part of Aranyakas. What are Aranyakas?
Aranyakas means: Teachings in a forest. In those days, the teachers lived in forests.

No comments: